The Plan's Central Aims
Our strategic plan focuses on:
- Expanding the beneficial practical impact our work will have on the communities we serve;
- The Academic Health Center and the broader University;
- The public in Minnesota, the United States, and the global community;
- The national and international bioethics community;
- Related national and international disciplinary communities (e.g., in health care, research science, philosophy, law, social science); and
- Strengthening the Center’s partnerships throughout the Academic Health Center (AHC) and expanding beyond to the broader University to foster interdisciplinary and/or interprofessional work that supports excellent research, scholarship and educational initiatives related to our areas of strength.
- Improving the Center’s communication initiatives to more powerfully advance the Center’s mission of advancing understanding concerning ethical issues in the health and life
- The Center will expand outstanding research and scholarship in the interdisciplinary field of bioethics, especially in our areas of strength. In so doing, the Center will emphasize research/scholarly collaborations with programs in the AHC and the broader University.
- The Center will partner throughout the AHC and beyond to the broader University to foster interdisciplinary and/or interprofessional educational initiatives related to our areas of strength.
- The Center will expand its outreach efforts to better serve the community outside the University, including the local, state, regional, national, and international communities.
- The Center will work toward financial strength and growth. The Center’s budget must be sustainable, predictable, and equal to our mission and priorities.
The Foundation of the Plan
The vision of the Center is to be a world leader in bioethics research and scholarship in order to promote ethical and socially responsible research and practice in the health and life sciences.
The mission of the Center is to advance understanding concerning ethical issues in health care and the life sciences, with a focus on the rights and interests of patients, research participants, and the public.
We value academic integrity, innovation in scholarship, interdisciplinary endeavors. We value our students and their futures. We value our colleagues and our work together. We value this University, its land grant mission to be a resource to Minnesota and its contribution to the world.
Areas of Strength
Center faculty conduct cutting-edge research and scholarship in the areas of:
- Public health ethics, human rights and global health;
- Health equity and the protection of vulnerable populations;
- Ethical clinical care across the continuum of care;
- Ethical issues in the conduct of research.